"Essentials of Language Documentation"
Jost Gippert, Nikolaus P. Himmelmann, Ulrike Mosel (eds.)
Mouton - de Gruyter, 2006
This is the official webpage of the handbook "Essentials of Language Documentation" edited by Jost Gippert, Nikolaus P. Himmelmann and Ulrike Mosel and published in its first (English) edition by Mouton - de Gruyter, 2006.
It comprises additional materials (audiovisual recordings, images, links etc.) pertaining to the book.
The webpage will be updated regularly.
Materials pertaining to individual chapters
- Ch. 1: Language documentation: What is it and what is it good for? (N. Himmelmann)
- Ch. 2: Ethics and practicalities of cooperative fieldwork and analysis (A. Dwyer)
- Ch. 3: Fieldwork and community language work (U. Mosel)
- Ch. 4: Data and language documentation (P. Austin)
- Ch. 5: Ethnography of language and language documentation (J. Hill)
- Ch. 6: Documenting lexical knowledge (J. Haviland)
- Ch. 7: Prosody in language documentation (N. Himmelmann)
- Ch. 8: Ethnography in language documentation (B. Franchetto)
- Ch. 9: Linguistic annotation (E. Schultze-Berndt)
- Ch. 10: The challenges of segmenting spoken language (N. Himmelmann)
- Ch. 11: Orthography development (F. Seifart)
- Ch. 12: Sketch grammar (U. Mosel)
- Ch. 13: Archiving challenges (P. Trilsbeek, P. Wittenburg)
- Ch. 14: Linguistic documentation and the encoding of textual materials (J. Gippert)
- Ch. 15: Thick interfaces: mobilizing language documentation with multumedia (D. Nathan)